ARTICLE 1: NAME
Section 1.01 The name of the organization shall be “The Canadian Music Festival Adjudicators’ Association” hereinafter referred to as “C.M.F.A.A.”
- To assist in the promotion and development of culturally effective music and arts festivals in Canada.
- To provide a liaison between our membership and the provincial and national festival organizations.
- To prepare an annual directory of qualified adjudicators which will be available to all known festivals across Canada.
- To make recommendations to both festival organizations and to our membership regarding matters of personal concern.
- To provide a channel through which Canadian adjudicators may discuss common problems, standards and professional development.
- Certification of advanced training in their field, and a record of success as a performer-teacher in the field in which they are to adjudicate.
- Sufficient experience in their field to achieve a mature appreciation of the broader aspect of their art.
- An understanding of the general purpose and artistic ideals of festivals.
- Recommendations from at least three recent music festivals. (Jury examinations, workshops, concerto competitions, scholarship auditions, NATS festivals, orchestral auditions, master classes, private music festivals, provincial, and national finals do not qualify).
Section 3.02 Application for membership: Applications shall be directed to and considered by the Executive of the Association.
Section 3.03 Honorary Life Membership: An honorary Life Membership may be offered by the Executive Committee in recognition of dedicated service to the festival movement.
ARTICLE 4: OFFICERS
Section 4.01 The Executive Committee of the C.M.F.A.A. shall consist of a President, a Past President, a Vice President (Liaison for Membership), a Recording Officer, and a Treasurer. The Executive may add members-at-large when necessary.
Section 4.02 There shall be provision for non-executive officers such as, e.g. Web-master or Registrar. These officers shall serve at the request of the Executive Committee and shall not have a vote; such officers need not be members of the C.M.F.A.A. These officers may receive remuneration for services as determined by the Executive Committee.
Section 4.03 The terms of office shall be four years. Prior to the end of the four-year period a new member of the executive may be nominated by the executive committee.
Section 5.02 The Officers shall be responsible for the production of the Newsletter(s), the Membership Directory, for handling general correspondence, the collection of fees, the annual financial report and the issuance of receipts, under the direction and delegation of the President.
Section 5.03 Ongoing responsibilities of Officers shall be as follows:
- The President shall:
Preside as chairperson and prepare an agenda for executive meetings.
Keep the membership informed of the deliberations of the Executive Committee.
Receive correspondence for the Association.
Be responsible for delegating and assigning duties to other Officers.
Works in collaboration with the Registrar, or Communicates regularly with the Registrar
- The Vice President shall:
Consider applications for membership.
Assume the responsibilities of the President when necessary.
Assist in the activities of the Association as requested by the President.
- The Recording Officer shall:
Take notes at meetings and produce minutes of such meetings.
Take over the duties of the Vice President if necessary.
- The Treasurer shall:
Oversee the financial affairs of the association under the direction of the Executive.
Produce a financial report when required or requested by the Executive.
- The Past President shall:
Act as advisor to the Executive Committee.
Section 5.04 The C.M.F.A.A. shall maintain one or more sets of Guidelines and other documents deemed to be appropriate. Topics may include, but need not be limited to, contracts, suggested fees, length of sessions, paid sessions off, expenses, special duties, responsibilities of the adjudicator and of festival committees, and ethics, as well as determining Bursaries/Awards/Prizes which are given in the name of CMFAA.
ARTICLE 6: MEETINGS
Section 6.01 The Executive Committee shall meet at the call of the President no less frequently than once per year. A meeting of the general membership may be called when necessary.
- The membership year of the Association shall be January 1 of the year to December 31 of the same year.
- Membership dues shall be payable by February 15 of the same year.
Section 7.02 Fiscal Year
- The fiscal year of the Association shall be January 1 of the year to December 31 of the same year.
Section 7.03 Membership Dues
- The Executive last increased membership dues to $50 in the 2016 fiscal year. Late fees and dates will continue to remain the same.
ARTICLE 8: AMENDMENTS
Section 8.01 This constitution may be amended by a two-thirds majority of members who vote on the amendment. Notices of motion or requests for such amendments shall be presented to the President at least three weeks before June 30 each year.